  • Subject: RE: OO Hybrids (was WANTED - RPG TALEN...)
  • From: Bob Crothers <bcrothers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 11:20:01 -0500

Hans,

I agree that Object Oriented and Object based are 2 very
different things.  I've been a big OO supported for a long time.

Can you expand on your statement "hybrids like C++ cause more
problems than they're worth."?

Do you say this because you can still do straight line code in
C++?

Granted, my first C++ program was really a C program that used
some of the MFC collection classes.  My Second C++ program had
some classes of my own, but still wasn't true OO.  By about the
5th or so program, I was doing OO.

>From an academic point of view, I agree that programs 1 thru 4
where violating everything they hold near and dear to their
hearts.  However, it allowed me to "ease" into OO, and did show
me the value of OO.  And kept my boss happy in that I was still
productive during my learning curve.

Now days, I am an OO fanatic!  In fact, that is why I'm still
pissed at Toronto for not allowing VAC++ to target V3R1!  It
leaves me stuck in the ILE/C world.  And after falling in love
with C++, ILE/C sucks.  As a result, my code is a mixture of
ILE/C and RPG.

Regards,
Bob Crothers
Cornerstone Communications

C++ cause more problems than they're worth.)

Cheers!  Hans

Hans Boldt, ILE RPG Development, IBM Toronto Lab,
boldt@ca.ibm.com
MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.