In <E0CE771849C7D111914200A024B2B850023835@MLF_EXC1>, on 05/28/98
   at 03:12 PM, "Zukowski, Donna" <Donna.Zukowski@bicworld.com> said:

>I have been following this thread with interest.  I would like to keep my
>skills up to date (who wouldn't?) and was wondering what language would
>be best combined with my RPG and little bit of COBOL knowledge.

>I admit my ignorance....is Java the same whether it is on a PC or on the
>AS/400?

I haven't found Java to be quite as much fun as Hans has.  Between this,
that, and the other, I can't get anything useful done with the various
levels, versions, and brands of java.

On the other hand I did order the VaRPG CD-ROM  and installed it last week
on my machine.  In my spare time and with a lot of groaning and screaming
I got my first real application done, packaged and installed as a demo for
a client.  Nothing fancy, just a panel with a subfile of names from his
40,000 record Names file, a selection routine, and a look-up field to
reposition the file.  There is a navigator bar with first page, previous
page, next page, and last page.  There is a menu bar with options for
vertical and horizontal lines, and to change color of the text.  The whole
panel is clickable, there is a title bar, and the Windows 95 minimize,
maximize, and exit pushbuttons.  All of it was "packaged" and installs
with the Windows Install-shield on a demo machine.

My point is this:  Full blown, operational and attractive applications can
be done right now, with the skills we now have, on existing equipment,
with modest outlays for software and for training time.  Java may be the
future, but if you want to show the suits some sparkle right now, take a
look at visual rpg.