  • Subject: Re: If yor system did not call last night !!!
  • From: "Kathleen Kostuck" <kkostuck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 14:08:48 -0500

Jeff,

Paging wasn't the only thing affected!  Just had the person who is
responsible for managing a raw material come down here with a
request to reposition the rooftop satellite dish.  She gets a feed of up to
the minute trading prices to be analyzed.  Someone from IS has to go up
there and point the dish at another satellite.  Galaxy 4 must still be out.

Thanks for the info.  Makes one wonder how these satellites will be
affected by 2K.

Kathleen Kostuck

---------
> From: Jeffrey M. Silberberg <silbrbrg@netcom.com>
> To: MidRange List <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
> Subject: If yor system did not call last night !!!
> Date: Wednesday, May 20, 1998 7:40 AM
>

>       Many of us use Paging to control and support our operations,
>  and day to day life.  Here is a Foward from anther list with regards
>  the current outages being experienced.
>
>       Jeff Silberberg

Tuesday
> afternoon, interrupting service to millions of pager users and disrupting
> behind-the-scenes television transmissions across the country.Galaxy 4,
> which is operated by PanAmSat, started having problems about 6:30 p.m.
EDT,
> said a company technician who asked not to be named. The company was
still
> able to communicate with the satellite, and technicians hoped to restore
> its correct orbit.
>
> Scott Baradell, a spokesman for PageNet, one of several paging companies
> whose services were interrupted, estimated that 80 to 90 percent of the
40
> million to 45 million U.S. pager users lost service. The only customers
not
> affected were those whose connections are through ground-based radio
> transmitters, he said.  Baradell said it would take about a day for his
> company to switch service to another satellite. ``You have to make
> adjustments to your system,'' he said. ``If it's at all possible to get
> Galaxy 4 back in service, that's much preferred.''
>
> A woman who answered the phone at Greenwich, Conn.-based PanAmSat refused
> to comment.
>
> If Galaxy 4 can't be fixed, traffic would have to be redirected to other
> satellites, said Russ Colby, a vice president at Digicom Services, a Los
> Angeles-based pager company that has 40,000 subscribers. He estimated up
> 20,000 of its customers were out of service.
>
> ``It's important that word gets out. People don't know it's not
working,''
> Colby said.
>
> The pager problem was of particular concern to doctors. Dr. Steve
Dickens,
> a cardiologist at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, said he was
> spending the night at the hospital because of the problem. ``I have to
tell
> (the hospital) what to do and how to respond,'' he said. ``Protocol says
> they can't make a decision without first calling the doctor.''
>
> Television stations use Galaxy 4 to transmit feeds of advance shows, said
> Marguerite Sullivan, satellite coordinator for KCAL-TV in Los Angeles. It
> was not clear what television programming might be affected. ``Hopefully,
> TV stations will be able to work around it,'' she said. ``It's just
> satellite space is going to be very tight. It's going to be a problem for
> syndication. ... Thank God most stuff is done two days in advance. We're
> not too bad off.''  In addition to the syndicated programs, CBS radio and
> television, the Chinese Television Network and the CNN Airport Network
send
> feeds through Galaxy 4.
>
> CBS relied most heavily on Galaxy 4 but had a backup plan and has not
been
> affected by the outage, said spokeswoman Amy Malone. ABC and NBC also
said
> their operations have not been affected.
>
> Galaxy 4 was launched in June 1993 aboard an Ariane rocket. Its coverage
> area is primarily the United States and Caribbean, according to
PanAmSat's
> World Wide Web sites.
>
> PanAmSat is 81 percent owned by Los Angeles-based Hughes Communications
Inc.

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com