Tim,

If the program is just adding records to the file (file is opened for
output only), then database will default to blocking the added records
into a 4K buffer prior to actually writing (making visible to the system)
the added records.  I would guess that with your record size and add
activity, that it is taking about 5 - 8 minutes to fill this buffer.

An easy way to turn this buffering off is to use OVRDBF on the file,
and specify SEQONLY(*NO).  An alternative, depending on the language
you are using, is to simply define the key as UNIQUE which will force
SEQONLY(*NO) processing for most high level languages (though this may
not work if using SQL or OPNQRYF or ???).  Either approach may impact
the raw performance of the program (that is, more handoffs to data
management), though I suspect your program is not real I0 intensive
(for this file anyway) due to the time lag you are experiencing.

As a bit of a disclaimer, the 4K buffer is simply data managements
current default size.  This could of course change over time.

Bruce Vining