Oh Boy - you're going to need a LOT of patience !   :-)
An SDLC connection can be a REAL pain in the a** to get working.

Making the assumption here (You didn't describe the environment) that
you are using Win95, and the 5763XD1 (Client Access for Win95/NT V3R1M2
or V3R1M3 client), then the basic steps are:

MODEM CHANGES:
You need to make one change from the 7855-010's default factory
settings, which are for SDLC use on the AS/400, when using with an SDLC
card on a PC.  Change the setting for DSR On to ALWAYS (I believe the
setting for AS/400 usage is DSR CONNECT).  The DSR On ALWAYS is the
current recommendation for use with IBM SDLC cards, although in the past
they recommended DSR On USUALLY and I found that worked find when
sending V.25bis autodial commands from the PC to auto-dial.

You may also want to change the PSN Telco default speed from 9600 TC to
12000 TC on both modems (7855 at PC end, and at AS/400 end).

AS/400 SETUP
GO CFGPCS and setup the line/controller/device for connection from the
PC.  Choose a Station Address that you will configure on the PC side.
Note that if you already have a line description on the AS/400 you use
for pass-through to other AS/400's, you can use that line.  If the ROLE
for the line is *NEG then the STNADR you create on the APPC controller
on the AS/400 for connection with the PC, must match the STNADR of the
SDLC line on the AS/400.
Unless you have reason to choose otherwise, suggest you select
NRZI(*YES).

PC SETUP
Note that your SDLC card (or newer MPCA card) WILL use both IRQ 3 AND
IRQ 4, although the Miscrosnot diagnostics will probably never tell you
about the IRQ 4 usage.  Make sure both IRQ's are available.
Items that will often conflict are the Comm ports (modem) or Serial
mouse.
Also, you will often get a memory address conflict (380 or 38C) with a
sound card, and may have to disable it (especially if it's a
SoundBlaster).

You need to install the Client Access client code on your PC, as you
will need file IBMSDLC.INF to install the SDLC card.

In Control Panel, select ADD NEW HARDWARE.
Select NEXT.
Select NO to the prompt to have the system automatically detect hardware
(it will fail).
Select OTHER DEVICES and click NEXT.  (Do not select any type of
hardware).
Click HAVE DISK and point it to where IBMSDLC.INF is stored.  (Usually
c:\progr~1\IBM\Client~1
Click OK to install the file.

Check for and resolve any resource conflict messages using System,
Device Manager.

Now create the connection for the AS/400 system, specifiying the
appropriate Station Address, Network Id (probably APPN - check DSPNETA
on your AS/400), and system name (check DSPNETA again for default local
location).

Now, cross your fingers and try to make a connection.

Neil Palmer                                AS/400~~~~~
NxTrend Technology - Canada   ____________          ___  ~
Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Phone: (905) 731-9000  x238   |__________|_|______|_|______)
Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238    oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NPalmer@NxTrend.com    AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server
http://www.NxTrend.com