  • Subject: RE: AT&T Problems yesterday - update/what happened !!!!
  • From: BORING David <dboring@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:22:12 -0600

This is from the Internet Week e-mail I got this morning:

Armstrong Discusses AT&T's Network Outage

Almost 24 hours after AT&T executives first heard of
growing outages in its frame relay network, service to
customers was still not fully restored, and the company still
didn't know the root cause of the problem.

In a press conference yesterday, AT&T CEO Michael
Armstrong said he believed a software-generated problem
started in two Cisco Systems' StrataCom BPX frame relay
switches and propagated itself in about 145 nodes across its
frame relay network.

AT&T said it would not charge any of its frame relay services
customers for service until it could guarantee the problem was
fixed. Armstrong also said AT&T would be working with
customers in the future to help them get backup plans in place.

The outage will no doubt cost AT&T big bucks. In January,
the company introduced frame relay service level agreements
(SLAs) that guarantee 99.99 percent network availability in
January. As part of the agreements, AT&T promises to restore
permanent virtual circuits within four hours or it will provide
customers the affected ports and PVCs free for a month.

AT&T yesterday morning delivered letters from Armstrong
to the CEOs of its customers. "We basically let our customers
down, and I apologized to each of them," he said. "I also
committed to apply every resource we can to identify, isolate
and fix this problem." By Kate Gerwig

http://www.internetwk.com/news/news0414-6.htm

David Boring
Systems Engineer