  • Subject: AT&T Problems yesterday - update/what happened !!!!
  • From: Chuck Lewis <CLEWIS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:34:43 -0400

We FINALLY came back up across the board around noon today.

Here is what I found:

>From Mercury Center (a daily e-mail)

Hi Folks,

This on the San Jose Mercury News alert this morning:

Posted at 8:02 a.m. PDT Tuesday, April 14, 1998

AT&T data network hit by `serious interruptions'

NEW YORK (AP) -- Service was interrupted on an AT&T Corp. high-speed
data network that serves business customers.

The problems began around 3 p.m. Monday with AT&T's frame relay network,
a specialized system used throughout the country by businesses that need
to do large numbers of transactions.

Other AT&T services -- long distance, wireless and Internet -- were not
affected, the company said.

By midnight, the company had restored service to half its network, and
the company expected service to be fully restored to all customers by 5
p.m. EDT today, AT&T spokesman Jim Byrnes said this morning.

The outage was caused by a problem with the interaction between two
switches within the company's data network, Byrnes said.

The company declined to say how many customers were affected.

About 6,000 companies have frame relay networks, and AT&T has about 40
percent of the market, USA Today reported.

AT&T spokeswoman Ruthlyn Newell said many of the company's corporate
clients had backup systems that limited the impact of disruptions. But
she would not comment on the possible effects of the problem.

And from of ALL places, AT&T's web site !

FOR RELEASE TUESDAY, APRIL 14, 1998

First one:

AT&T Chairman holds audio news briefing on frame relay network problem

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. - AT&T Chairman and CEO C. Michael Armstrong will
host an audio news briefing for reporters today at 12 noon EDT to
discuss the company's frame relay network outage and service restoration
efforts. Interested reporters based in the U.S. and Canada should call
1-800-611-1147. Reporters outside the U.S. and Canada should dial
612-332-0636. There will be a replay of the briefing available starting
at 3 p.m. EDT. Reporters in the U.S. and Canada should call
1-800-475-6701, Access Code 387754; reporters outside the U.S. and
Canada should call
320-365-3844 and Access Code 387754.

For more information, reporters may contact:

Adele Ambrose - AT&T
908-221-6900
888-602-5420 (pager)
aambrose@att.com

Second one:

FOR RELEASE TUESDAY, APRIL 14, 1998

AT&T restores frame relay data service for business customers

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. - AT&T engineers worked through the night and have
restored partial service to some of the business customers affected by
an outage that began late Monday afternoon on the company's frame relay
network. The company said it has isolated the source of the outage to a
problem in the interaction between two frame relay switches that
affected the rest of the network.

AT&T said it is focusing all of its resources on restoring full service
to every customer as soon as possible.

The company noted that the problem has not affected AT&T's other
networks, for long-distance, wireless, and other data services, which
continue to operate normally.

In a letter to customers, AT&T Chairman C. Michael Armstrong said, "I
want to apologize for the outages you are experiencing in our frame
relay service. Network reliability is one of our highest priorities and
this situation is clearly unacceptable to you and to us. You can be sure
that we will work around the clock until every customers is up and
running and we have identified and fixed the specific root cause of the
problem."

Frame relay is a high-speed packet data networking technology used by
businesses that need to exchange large amounts of computer information
in short and frequent bursts.

For more information, reporters may contact:

Adele Ambrose - AT&T
908-221-6900
888-602-5420 (pager)
aambrose@att.com