Michael

At 08:54 AM 4/13/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>Let me start by saying that I am new to the AS/400 world.  The Bay
>District Data Center (where I work) has been an MVS mainframe shop
>since 1986.  We are in the process of changing platforms to an AS/400
>S20 model (for application dev) and a 640 series (for production).
>
>My question:
>   Is there a generally accepted standard set of system tools that most
>companies use on their machines.  By way of an MVS example, if you want
>to do system performance monitoring, CANDLE Corp. has a widely used
>product called OMEGAMON.  Likewise, if I want printer output control I
>would look at a product from LEVY, RAY and SHOUP called VPS.
>
>   I am assuming that there are plenty of third party software houses
>that provide powerful/useful tools for the AS/400.  Then again, maybe
>the AS/400 does not need the type of products I asking about.  I just
>don't know.
>
>   This is becoming a critical budget issue for my department.  If I
>can't find 'Value Added' tools before our budget deadline, I could be
>forced to go without for a whole year.
>
>Also, as an MVS system programmer about to embark on a long educational
>journey, can anyone give some advice on the best way to get up to
>speed.  After all these years my department has seen fit to provide the
>systems/applications group with a little bit of training and money for
>books/manuals.  Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.  MD

First of all, a hearty Welcome!

There is so much built in, that you'll need relatively little in 3rd-party
tools, IMO.

Performance monitoring

1. Many commands exist, including WRKSYSSTS (Work with System Status),
WRKACTJOB (Work with Active Jobs), etc.

2. Many things can be managed dynamically, where you needed to IPL a
mainframe.

Printer output control

1. Most shops use the native spooled file/output queue mechanism.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

There are a number of manuals available that should be a great help.
They're on the SoftCopy library CD. Get a look at 'Getting Your AS/400
Working For You' (SC41-5161), 'System Operation for New Users' (SC41-3200),
'System Operation' (SC41-4203), 'Basic System Operation, Administration,
and Problem Handling' (SC41-5206).

I assume you've RPG installed. Sorry, but COBOL's not used much, in my
experience. At any rate, you should get Application Development ToolSet on
the development box, as Eduard van den Braken says.. It'd be handy but not
required (budget?) on the production box.

Also, you'd do well to have the SQL licensed product installed, IMO.
Industry standard and all that. And again, it only needs to be installed on
the development box for programming, although the interactive SQL interface
and the Query Manager component are convenient (budget again?).

Many shops get the Query/400 product--interactive query builder.

I heartily recommend the operations automations products from Help Systems.
They have very advanced products that handle job scheduling, dynamic
performance tuning, automated backups, report distribution, etc. Call them
at (612) 933-0609, or try <http://www.helpsystems.com> .

The standard trade journals are News/400 <http://www.news400.com> and
Midrange Computing <http://www.midrangecomputing.com> . Both are excellent
and also sell many books and videos on various AS/400 topics.

The 400's a great machine--and getting better all the time. You've an
adventure ahead of you.

Cheers

Vernon Hamberg
Systems Software Programmer
Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
400 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55401
(612) 371-1111 x480