Just some of the many possibilities:

You CAN configure a S/36 (Classic, 236 or 436) to answer a dial-up call
with an attached SDLC modem, so you should be able to use plain old
Remote 5250 software, with an SDLC card & modem on a PC, to dial-in.

You could also connect either a PC or a dumb 5250 terminal in your
office to a remote controller (5294/5394) with an SDLC modem, and again
connect to the S/36 by putting an SDLC modem on it's comm line.

You could use a protocol converter (like an old 5208, or the newer 5208
- or a lookalike) connected to a twinax port on the S/36 and dial-in
from a PC running any of several types of terminal emulation (VT100,
Wysexxx, 3164 etc.).

If you have a 400 in your office, you can dial out from the ECS modem
(or any other line with an SDLC modem) and run display station
pass-through to the S/36.

Or you could spend a lot, connect a small token-ring LAN on the S/36,
and use a RAS server (something like the IBM 8235).

Neil Palmer                                AS/400~~~~~
NxTrend Technology - Canada   ____________          ___  ~
Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Phone: (905) 731-9000  x238   |__________|_|______|_|______)
Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238    oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NPalmer@NxTrend.com    AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server
http://www.NxTrend.com