  • Subject: Re: Certification??
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 17:10:42 -0800

Regan Barr wrote:

> I'm new to the list and just wondered how IBM certification is viewed in
> your company.

Like a lot of things in this exchange group, the answer is: "it depends".

>   Is it valued?

To recruiters and first time applicants it can be the key to get through the
door
or opportunity or an excuse.

>  Is it expected of all programmers?

No.

>  Does anyone even notice?

See recruiters above.

>  Does it impact salary?

See first time applicants above.

>  Do you find it personally helpful?

Education never hurts, sheep skins are another issue.

A while back there was a study published in the Harvard Business Revue that took
a look at a professional's wage earnings in two different scenarios.  Get the
MBA
before obtaining a position vs obtaining OJT then going back and getting an MBA.
The study showed that those who embarked upon a career path first, then obtained
the MBA (certification) later earned a higher income than those who chose
certification before applied use.

Certification does serve a useful purpose in the holder being able to open doors
of opportunity, and recruiter being able to justify blocking applicants, and a
consulting firm having bragging rights.  IMHO, in the third case, a list of
satisfied clients will get you more work than what's hanging on the wall.

P.S. I once met a janitor with a Ph.D. in nuclear physics.  Said he couldn't
find
work in his field.  Personally I think he did.