From: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
[mailto:owner-midrange-l@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Rich Duzenbury
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 1998 7:42 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: MI Programming

Thank you for your reply.

Of course MI only makes sense when it's the only way.  In my case, I don't
believe there are any alternatives for what I'd like to do, API or
otherwise.   One thing that I like about MI is the fact that it's available
on the all machines I normally work on while some of the newer C and ILE
languages are not.

In general, I use MI only when a job cannot be done in RPG or CL at all, or
sometimes cleanly.  As an example, some time ago I needed to view the
contents of a data queue, and no mechanism was available.  Certainly I could
have pulled each entry off the queue, and then re-inserted it, but that
caused sequencing problems.  I could have also dumped the queue object, and
tried to interpret the spooled file.  I considered these methods messy
solutions at best.  A clean solution, IMO, was an MI program written around
MATQMSG.

So, I believe MI is still a viable and effective mechanism for solving
problems, thus my desire to be proficient.

Regards,
Rich

Rich Duzenbury
http://rich.dyn.ml.org