  • Subject: Re: sys/36 to AS/400
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 16:10:16 -0800

Roy,

Bang for buck, if your intent is to retain your S/36 applications,  acquire a
436.

For your date considerations use a time window technique.

Your S/36 applications will be 4x faster interactive and 8x faster batch (did I
get that backwards?) and trying to accomplish the same on a "real" AS/400 under
the S/36EE would require a much more powerful machine at a much higher cost to
result in the same throughput.

This would not even require a recompile (read as no source available) and it is
simple save to tape from your S/36, unscrew the cables from the S/36, restore to
the 436, dink with configs and user profiles, screw in cables,  and done deal.
Sort of :)

Now, if you want to use the power of OS/400 and can deal with DDM......you have
door of opportunity.

I've yet to create a translation formula for the relative performance
comparisons
since the yard stick has changed, but some of the older marketing materials will
have the RPR for a S/36 and an F02.  Look up the same for a F02 vs 436.

Interestingly enough, around 1989 when a B10 was a 1.0 and a 5363 was a 1.1,
that
is until about PTF 3700 or 3800 the 5363 dropped to a 0.7 rating.  Must be the
new math :)...I'm working strictly from memory, but a F02 came in at just under
2.0 RPR. (maybe 1.7?)  native and S/36EE are roughtly equal performance so a 4.0
RPR for a 436 would get you roughly twice the bang for buck.

The latest broker sheet I've received (March 1998) shows a F04 for $1,900 plus
OS
which just about matches an Entry 436 @ $12K?

Now to get that F04 to 32M memory is an additional $600, or $700/8M, twinax
controller $695, 2.5GB tape $1,200, depends on what was included in the F02
hardware quote you received.

FWIW