  • Subject: Re: RE: CODE/400
  • From: David Morris <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 08:24:02 -0700

Bob,

Thanks, it is $499 per copy.  I got my figures from our PC guys.  We must
pay for a few
copies or the cost came down.  As far as being a must have, that was my
point.  They
don't exactly have a compile to prior release option like the 400.  We
support several
levels and flavors of MS operating systems and this adds a significant cost.

David Morris

>>> Bob Crothers <bcrothers@netdirect.net> 03/05 12:25 AM >>>
David,

An MSDN subscription is $499 per year (in the US) for the
professional level.  This gives you all versions of workstation
OS's (Win 3.x, Win95 and WinNT/Workstation) and all the SDK's &
DDK's.  All of the foreign languages are included also.

In addition, you get the entire MS Knowledge Base, all the
manuals for pretty much all of their products, plus a bunch of
other books that "might be interesting to a developer".  All
told, about 50 CD's.

And it is updated Quarterly at a minumum.  There tend to be many
interim releases of things shuch as Windows/98, NT v5, and other
stuff.

Anybody who does ANY development in the Windows world needs
this.  It is invaluable.

The "Universal" subscription level of MSDN is $2,000 per year.
 It has all of the above plus all of the server stuff.  This
includes NT Server (v3.51, v4.0 & v5.0), MS SQL Server,
Transaction Server, Small Buisness Server, etc.

In addition, you also get ALL of the development tools.  Such as
VC++, VJ++, VB, FoxPro, etc.  This alone is worth close to
$2,000.

Regardless of your opinion of Windows, if you must work with it,
MSDN is a must have.  For more (and accurate) information, go to
www.microsoft.com/msdn

Regards,
Bob Crothers
Cornerstone Communications