  • Subject: Re: APPN vs. TCP/IP performance
  • From: mcrump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 11:49:42 -0500

I believe there are a number of issues with regards to this that you need
consider:

1.) Client Performance
2.) Server Performance
3.) Network Performance
4.) Functionality
5.) Control

As usual most things are 'it depends' and it truly depends on your
environment
also.  IMHO:

1). Client Peformance Rankings (Best to worst)
     1.) TCP/IP
     2.) SNA/APPC
     3.) Anynet
2.) Server Performance Rankings (Best to worst)
     1.) SNA/APPC
     2.) TCP/IP
     3.) Anynet
3.) Network Performance (if routers are being used, best to worst)
     1.) TCP/IP, Anynet
     2.) SNA/APPC
4.) Functionality (Best to worst, definitely changes with V3R1M3 of CA/400)
     1.) SNA/APPC, Anynet
     2.) TCP/IP
5.) Control (from a server perspective)
     1.) SNA/APPC
     2.) Anynet
     3.) TCP/IP

On most of these I think the differences are like splitting hairs.  You
will see
all kinds of stuff regarding performance comparisons (remember Anynet vs.
SNA Server?) that I humbly believe aren't worth debating.  Until I see
something that I believe to be alarming and absolutely true I tend to
minimize the performance debate and the issues around it.

I personally look at it from a functionality and control perspective.  With
V3R1M3 of CA/400 the game is changing (I don't know all the details) but
I would give the edge to SNA/APPC.

Probably not what you wanted but HTH.

Michael Crump
Technical Project Leader