  • Subject: Re: QCMDEXC question
  • From: qappdsn@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 18:34:38 -0800

Chris Rehm wrote:

> ** Reply to note from qappdsn@ibm.net Fri, 30 Jan 1998 02:24:25 -0800
> > Mark,
> >
> > While I agree with your statements about the shortcomings of CL as an
> > "application language" I'm left wondering if that was _ever_ the
> > languages intent. IMHO I've always viewed CL as a program wrapper.
> >

> Just because I've always considered my large crescent wrench a hammer
> doesn't make it so. Some people seem to get an awful lot more out of it
> than I do. I'm not sure that is a good reason for inventing or adopting a
> new style of adjustable wrench (ie., so that I can use it properly).

Point taken.  I think it was on this list about 2 years ago or so  (time seems
so
elastic these days) that a poster very proudly claimed that their _entire_
application was CL.  That almost put my brain into a death spiral contemplating
the logistics. :)

I've also seen entire applications written in RPG just to _avoid_ using CL.
(another logistic nightmare) Although with the strenghtened string handling, it
wouldn't be as bad as trying to do it user V2Rx or prior.

But I think the bastardization of language use (driving a nail with a
wrench...shame on you) is why we see new languages like JAVA popping up.  It's
our never ending quest for the software version of a holy grail or unified
theory.

The point I was trying to make though was that under a new design construct (ILE
vs OPM) the previously used and very familiar languages may have to be left
behind.  I've got no real bones to pick about CL, nor am I in love with it.  I
didn't miss JCL leaving the S/360 for S/3x OCL and didn't pine for that when CL
was the language de jour.

I believe a response was posted to the above mentioned proud poster not to put
too much of your talent into a language that has nowhere else to go.  I tend to
agree.  Should the powers that be decide a new chip requires a new language to
take advantage of all of it's features one would find themselves with yesterdays
code.  Not a good thing. :(

Regards,
James W. Kilgore
qappdsn@ibm.net