From: mcsnet!midrange.com!midrange-l-owner@Mcs.Net
[mailto:mcsnet!midrange.com!midrange-l-owner@Mcs.Net]On Behalf Of David
Morris
Sent: Friday, January 16, 1998 1:17 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: RE: Using activation groups

Programmers & analysts that switch between production and test.  When we had
two
machines this was not an issue.  Now we have some analysts that spend the
majority
of their time researching user questions and verifying information.  We use
SQL quite
a bit which leaves files open until you sign off.  We also have server
programs that
access files which are duplicated between test and production.  We leave
these files
open all day.  RCLRSC will not close files open by SQL.  Problems can occur
when
these files are open from a test library and the analyst switches into the
production
environment.  This is what we are trying to fix by setting a different
activation group for
test and production.

Thanks for your interest,

David Morris

>>> "Walden Leverich" <walden@techsoftinc.com> 01/16 6:23 AM >>>
David,

I'm not sure what the activation group name has to do with the environment
(test, production, etc.) Activation groups are segments WITHIN a job. Even
if you have an activation group named abc123 in two jobs there is nothing
shared between them. If one of these activation groups was in a production
user's job running the program from library PRDPGM and one was in a
developers job running the same program out of PDM from library DEVPGM you
would not have any problems.

What am I missing?

-Walden