  • Subject: Re: Mapped LDA - ILE common variables
  • From: John Carr <74711.77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 21:50:23 -0500

Date:   1/8/98  3:03 AM

RE:     Re: Mapped LDA - ILE common variables
<snip>

>I'd go for a scheme where you define in this manner only those fields that you
>really need to be "instantly" available throughout the application.  You might
>also consider using a User Space and BASED storage to retain the information,
>that way it can be persistent between sign-ons and certain areas can be common
>to all users if you wish.
>
>The major benefit to either approach is that you get away from the LDA.  My
>personal view is that that is simply an accident waiting to happen.  You may
>have good standards and control over it now, but the simple step of introducing
>a software package, or a piece of shareware could wreck your system in a
>hurry.

Ok Jon,  I'll bite.
I'd be the first one to use a Userspace(use them already in some cases)
instead of the LDA as soon as you/IBM give us one that is ;

A) Automatically created by the OS for each unique job on the machine.
B) Can't be accessed by some other process/job (private)
C) Trancends the SBMJOB boundary by the OS
D) Gets destroyed by the OS as soon as job is destroyed(garbage collection)

(and we don't want persistence for this function jon)

The operative words here Jon are "by the OS'.

Hmm,  It almost looks like I defined the LDA.  Those early did have some
great vision, Imagine a Global variable that has all 4 qualities.
All 4 are a HARD requirement for a replacement for the LDA.

Wouldn't the COMM-SCI people also have problems with a Userspace for the
same reason?

Also How come nobody complains about the Windows Clipboard?
The program being clipped from doesn't know where it's going.
The program being pasted to doesn't know where it came from?

And You never answered my M$ question Jon.

John Carr CDP
EdgeTech