Jeff,

Excerpts from mail: 29-Aug-97 Re: 2 IP addresses Jeffrey
Silberberg@netco (2032*)

>       Hey Mark B ?  what is the permissable Class assignments in the
> AS/400 ??

If you mean which class of IP addresses are allowed on the AS/400 - all
of the class A, class B and Class C IP addresses are allowed.  We limit
the definition of any class A IP address starting with 127 to a
*LOOPBACK value.  Class D (multicast) IP addresses are not allowed at
this time. And class E IP addresses are not allowed either.

Here is some background on classes of IP addresses:

If the first byte of an internet address is in the range 0 to 127, it is
a Class A network. These are very large networks. The host IDs can range
from
0.0.1 to 255.255.254, which allows for a maximum of 16,777,214 hosts. An
example of a class A internet address is 9.5.1.2. The network ID is 9
and
the host ID is 5.1.2.

If the first byte of an internet address is in the range 128 to 191, it
is a Class B network. These are medium-size networks. The host IDs can
range
from 0.1 to 255.254, which allows for a maximum of 65,534 hosts. An
example of a class B internet address is 150.244.1.241. The network ID
is
150.244 and the host ID is 1.241.

If the first byte of an internet address is in the range 192 to 223, it
is a Class C network. These are relatively small networks. The host IDs
can range
from 1 to 254, which allows for a maximum of 254 hosts. An example of a
class C internet address is 221.6.1.244. The network ID is 221.6.1 and
the
host ID is 244.

If the first byte of an internet address is in the range 224 to 239, it
is a Class D network. These addresses identify multicast networks. the
first 4 bits in
a class D internet address identify the internet address as a multicast
address. The rest of the bits (28) identify a specific multicast group.
The AS/400
does not support class D internet addresses.

If the first byte of an internet address is in the range 240 to 255, it
is a Class E network. These addresses are undefined and experimental at
this time.
The AS/400 does not support class E internet addresses except for the
limited broadcast address of 255.255.255.255.

Mark L Bauman