VA/RPG And/Or Java

Hey Ya'll (or Use Guys)

If there was a discussion about VA/RPG(Visual RPG) and Java Which of the
next two choices(or both)would people be in favor of.

1. VA/RPG being able to generate Java Byte Code.
2. A conversion product that would take RPG code and generate Java source.

Option 1 would allow you to generate GUI applications using the scripting
language you might have been using for 5,10,20 years. (Same old IFEQ, SETLL,
DOUEQ<g>, CHAIN, etc.).  The VA/RPG product BTW has a conversion tool that
will take an existing (say) subfile program and convert it to a GUI PC app.
Option 1 would also allow you to generate object code(Java bytecode) which
would run anywhere Java will run,  from VA/RPG source.

Option 2 would be a CVTRPGSRC type thing that converts RPG(or VA/RPG to
Java source.  With the idea that you will put a way your coding sheets
(what ever they are) for the { } world of Java.

How many would like to continue to use the scripting language you have been
using for years. Or switch to Java(C like as it is)?

If Option 2, Please make reference the plans concerning the inevitiable
reality of having to have to still deal with 25,000 to 500,000 lines of
existing RPG applications that you will still have to have the skill set
on staff to maintain.

And also what language would you use for the typical batch(Monthend A/P,
G/L, etc. Not to mention Trigger programs, APPC programs, etc. that a
visual language doesn't deal with to nicely) type functions?

I'm very curious about your feelings on this.  (Give it some thought to
my last couple of points.)

John Carr
EdgeTech

Sorry I was a way for a week and missed most of the below thread.

>Bob,
      <<BIG snip>>