  • Subject: RE: Remote IBM 4247
  • From: Paul Tykodi <pault@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 16:13:17 -0400

Mike Baird wrote:

Help!!

We are trying to install an IBM4247 printer at a remote site through a
Perle 394 controller and StarTek or 3Com hubs.  The printer is
configured to emulate a 4224 (IPDS) printer.  We currently have an IPDS
printer running at this site through the same setup.  When I set the new
printer address to the same as the existing printer, and plug it into
the hub in place of the old printer it works fine.  So, I copied the
devd for the old printer, changing the address to where I want the new
printer (06 - this is correct - not 0D).  I change the printer address
to 06 and plug it into port 6 on the hub.  The printer varies on, I
start the writer, then get a "Device Not Available" message.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Dear Mike,

The AS/400 will know about your new IPDS printer by the port and address that
it is attached to on the Perle 394 controller. You will need to know which port
and address on the Perle 394 is servicing the hub connection where the new
printer is attached. The addressing scheme on the AS/400 for remote control
units works as follows:

                                    PORT 0   PORT 1   PORT 2   PORT 3

twinax address   0 is:   00     07      0E      15
twinax address   1 is:   01     08      0F      16
twinax address   2 is:   02     09      10      17
twinax address   3 is:   03     0A      11      18
twinax address   4 is:   04     0B      12      19
twinax address   5 is:   05     0C      13      1A
twinax address   6 is:   06     0D      14      1B

Some further information about installing peripherals onto remote control units
would be as follows:

Each port on the controller can have up to seven devices "daisy chained" off
the port.  The number of total devices varies depending on the model.  When
attaching a new device to a 5294 or 5394  controller it is important to run the
"Configuration Procedure" on the controller.  The device is left in a powered
on state and the controller and the device communicate, and then the
information is stored in the controller.  This takes about 10 to 15 minutes and
sometimes requires someone who
has done it before.

 The 5494 has the equivalent of Auto Configuration so this configuration
procedure isn't necessary. Perle 394 offers auto configuration as an optional
feature.

This configuration issue becomes important when you plug a device into a port
that
had a different device previously installed.  The controller will think the
previous device is still there until the configuration procedure is run.

Hope some of this info will be useful.

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606

Further information about Praim Products can be found at http://www.praim.com.