  • Subject: RE: MODCA file as a pcfile to A/S 400 Document
  • From: Paul Tykodi <pault@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 15:51:25 -0400

Wayne Achenbaum wrote:

>Does anyone know if it is possible or know how to take a pc file of
>type MODCA (IE FILENAME.MCA) or any other pc file image file type >and create
>an A/S 400 document that can be viewed on an IBM image >terminal (document
>must be MODCA,MODCAFAX,RFTDCA, or >RFTDCAFAX).

>I would prefer to get the document in MODCAFAX format to easily print >and
>view from either a PC or an Image terminal. It appears to be true that >unless
>the document was filed on the A/S 400 like an incoming fax the >document
>format as it is known to the A/S 400 is PCFILE. PCFILE format >can not be
>converted on the A/S 400 to any other format unless you have >a third party
>program or your own to the conversion.
<cut> <cut>

Dear Wayne,

I thought your question was very interesting so I checked with some of the
support channels that our company (I work for a vendor of IBM system
peripherals) has with IBM. I found that all of the information you presented in
your posting is correct. In order to be able to use the AS/400 command
CVTFAXDOC to change a MODCA file into an object viewable from a 3489 style
image terminal, the file format must be MODCA (not PCFILE). The most important
piece of the puzzle regarding your question is the file transfer from the PC to
the AS/400. If the program you use can convince the AS/400 that the file to be
transferred is MODCA format, your conversion process should be smooth. If the
program you use cannot convince the AS/400 that the file to be transferred is
MODCA format, you will need a utility like you mentioned in your original post
to convert the PCFILE format.

I hope you will be able to find some file transfer software that will make your
conversion process go smoothly.

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606