     I missed this note the first time.  I had just gotten back from
     vacation and had a billion a lot e-mail message to sort through.

     I've included a little experimental CL program in this note which MAY
     convert the PCFILE to MODCA MDOCAFAX, etc.  First you copy the PC file
     to an AS/400 folder as a PC doc. Then use the CPYFRMPCD command to
     copy the PC doc to a physical file as is. The FILDOC command is then
     used to save the physical as the desired document type.  I'm sure the
     program will create the document.  Whether it is viewable or not is
     the question and I have no means of testing the program.  My guess is
     that there is a higher probability of the doc not being viewable than
     otherwise but it might be worth an experiment.  Good luck.

     Guy Murphy         University of Illinois - UDIS
                        217-333-8670
                        murphyfa@uiuc.edu

    Program

/*  This UNTESTED program MAY convert a PC Doc to a MODCAFAX or a MODCA       */
/*  or other types of documents.                                              */

             PGM

/*  Create a physical file with a record length of one byte into which the    */
/*  PC doc is to be copied.  The one byte insures that the PC doc is copied   */
/*  to the physical file without the AS/400 padding the last record with      */
/*  blanks.  If a record length can be found that divides evenly into the PC  */
/*  doc size, then that length can be used.  Make sure the physical file is   */
/*  is large enough to hold the PC doc.                                       */

             CRTPF      FILE(QTEMP/FILE) RCDLEN(1) SIZE(100000)

/*  When coping the PC doc to the physical file with the CPYFRMPCD command,   */
/*  parameters TRNTBL(*NONE) and TRNFMT(*NOTEXT) prevents CPYFRMPCD from      */
/*  trying to convert the file from ASCII to EBCDIC and from adding           */
/*  carriage return - line feed characters to the file.                       */

             CPYFRMPCD  FROMFLR(FOLDER) TOFILE(QTEMP/FILE) +
                          FROMDOC(PCDOC) TRNTBL(*NONE) +
                          TRNFMT(*NOTEXT)

/*  FILDOC will save the physical file to a document.  The following FILDOC   */
/*  will save the file to a DOCTYPE(34) which is a MODCAFAX document.         */

             FILDOC     TYPE(*FILE) TODOC(MODCAFAX) TOFLR(FOLDER) +
                          DOCFILE(QTEMP/FILE) DOCTYPE(34)

/*  This FILDOC command will save the physical file to a DOCTYPE(33) which is */
/*  a RFTDCAFAX document.                                                     */

             FILDOC     TYPE(*FILE) TODOC(RFTDCAFX) TOFLR(FOLDER) +
                          DOCFILE(QTEMP/FILE) DOCTYPE(33)

/*  This FILDOC command will save the physical file to a DOCTYPE(16) which is */
/*  a MODCA document.                                                         */

             FILDOC     TYPE(*FILE) TODOC(MODCA) TOFLR(FOLDER) +
                          DOCFILE(QTEMP/FILE) DOCTYPE(16)

/*  This FILDOC command will save the physical file to a DOCTYPE(11) which is */
/*  a RFTDCA document.                                                        */

             FILDOC     TYPE(*FILE) TODOC(RFTDCA) TOFLR(FOLDER) +
                          DOCFILE(QTEMP/FILE) DOCTYPE(11)

             ENDPGM

Does anyone know if it is possible or know how to take a pc file of type
MODCA (IE FILENAME.MCA) or any other pc file image file type and create
an A/S 400 document that can be viewed on an IBM image terminal
(document must be MODCA,MODCAFAX,RFTDCA, or RFTDCAFAX). I would prefer
to get the document in MODCAFAX format to easily print and view from
either a PC or an Image terminal. It appears to be true that unless the
document was filed on the A/S 400 like an incoming fax the document
format as it is known to the A/S 400 is PCFILE. PCFILE format can not be
converted on the A/S 400 to any other format unless you have a third
party program or your own to the conversion. With all that being said. I
know that Buying IBM's IMAGE PLUS is probably a solution, but a very
expensive one and not well supported at that. Thanks in advance for any
suggestions on how to get a P.C. scanned image into modca or modcafax
format on the A/S 400 as a 400 Document.

P.S. I don't want to fax these thing to myself (way to slow)
--
Wayne Achenbaum
Slomin's Inc.

Email Address: wache@slomins.com