  • Subject: Re: Java applets
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 08:31:02 -0700

Scott Johnson wrote:

> I remember hearing a rumor someplace that IBM is thinking
> about changing VARPG so that it could generate JAVA code.
> As far as I know this is just a rumor.  But wouldn't it be great!!!
> All you would need to know is RPG IV.
>
> And as far as JAVA looking like C:  I know C and RPG.  I think
> RPG is becoming more C like every release... mostly the
> ILE stuff...

We looked at using C a few years back and that language gives a whole
new meaning to the word cryptic. <g>

We put that idea away mainly because there were too many flavors of C.
With JAVA we have taken a new look again and have committed to including
it in our applications where appropriate.

It's not as bad as it looks.  Since trivia was popping up on the list
lately, remember the S/34 OCL to S/38 CL migration program? It was a
nice teaching tool since the OCL became comments and we could see the
direct relationships.  By taking a simple RPG program and redoing it (or
at least some of the routines) into JAVA you can build a 'in RPG it is
written as ....' therefore 'in JAVA it is written as...' cookbook.

Since the cheapest and most readily available way to get your feet wet
is with JavaScript and a supporting web browser, you can tinker and
learn right on your own PC.  It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to
write a program to take a DDS panel and convert it to <FORM>...</FORM>
syntax.  Even with JavaScripts limitations you can learn the appropriate
approach.

We like the idea of Java because it only comes in one flavor and runs on
more than one platform.
Sort of reminds me of Peter Lynch's comments on business competition:
Competition is a good thing but there's nothing like a monopoly! ;-)

With IBM's commitment to Java, it's something worth looking into.