  • Subject: [Fwd: Netware WAN Printing]
  • From: Danny McQuestion <dcmcques@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 16:55:35 -0500

I sent the message below to ASKIBM technical support to verify if the
WAN printing solution I have listed below will work.  Anyone got any
suggestions or comments?

Danny Mc?

[---- begin ----]
   I am currently working on a solution to a WAN printing problem.
Could you please tell me if the following solution is viable using
either Netware for SAA or Netware for SAA: AS/400 Edition using either a
PC based server or FSIOP.

Situation:
  I currently have 50 to 60 remote users that attach to the AS/400 via
X.25 and use a T/R router connection using PCS v2r3 DOS Extended.  We
will be upgrading our WAN infrastructure and all remotes are moving to
Win95 or NT.  My intention is to use Sprint's Private Virtual Intranet,
Sprint's Public Internet services and a modem server as our
communications structure.  Currently remotes use a WSF printer session
to print AS/400 reports.  Using a TCP/IP network, CA/Win95 nor Win95
include LPR/LPD support for printing.  I could encapsulate SNA using
ANYNET but that requires too much overhead and Static IP addressing is
required because AS/400 outqs have to be configured with an IP address.

Objective:
  Offer an AS/400 printing and Client Access/400 solution to remote
users while keeping network costs, administration and purchase costs at
a minimum.  We currently own a 120 user license of Netware for SAA v2.0,
unlimited copies of Client Access, and have several servers running
Netware v4.11.  The Netware for SAA v2.0 machine is the 2-user Netware
v3.12 runtime version.  I will probably end up purchasing a Netware
v4.11 FSIOP for the AS/400 and manage the WAN Netware print queues from
there.

Application Sample:

Client:        Win95/NT
               Netware Client/32
               GUI NPRINTER
               Client Access for Win95/NT v3r1m1
               Raptor Mobile Encryption Software
Connection:    Win95/NT PPP Dialer (TCP/IP only)
               28.8k to ISDN (56k or 128k)
Medium:        Internet Type Network
Host Site:     Mix of Token Ring & Ethernet
               TCP/IP & IPX (Phasing out IPX with NW4.11 upgrade)
               NO SNA or NETBEUI traffic
               T-1 connection from Internet to Cisco Router
               T-1 connection from Sprint's PVN to Cisco Router
               Raptor Eagle Firewall
                  - ALL outside communications goes through here!
               IBM 8271 Etherstreamer Switch
                  - Firewall & AS/400 connected to switch.
Host:          AS/400 320 with OS/400 v3r2
               2 Ethernet & 2 Token Ring
Netware:       Netware v4.11 (No IPX!)
SAA Server:    Netware for SAA v2.0 or AS/400 Edition
               HostPrint/400

Assumptions:
  1) I am under the impression that HostPrint/400 must be loaded on the
SAA server to translate print information from the AS/400 to spool to a
Netware print que.
  2) Netware/IP must be checked on the Client/32 product for remote
print services to work.
  3) GUI NPRINTER points back to the Netware server looking for a print
queue name so static or dynamic IP addressing is not a concern.  The
AS/400 spools to a static remote outque.

Questions/Concerns:
  1) Is this a workable solution?  If not, what, if possible, can be
changed for this solution to work?
  2) Are my assumptions above correct?
  3) Can IPDS datastreams be sent to the Netware print queues and be
printed as such on the remote client.  (ie: Bar Code & Overlays).  Or,
am I only limited to 3812 & 5224 printing?
  4) What are the performance considerations?
  5) Why do I need to enable Netware/IP in Client/32 to print?
  6) Will GUI NPRINTER and Client Access work concurrently across this
one connection?
  7) How is the licencing done with HostPrint/400?  Is it done per
outque or concurrent connected users?
  8) How many Netware for SAA licences do I need for remote printing?
One?  One per outque?  One per concurrently connected user?
  9) Will HostPrint/400 run on a Netware v4.11 FSIOP?

Please respond to dmcquestion@wmt.com with any answers or comments.  If
addtional resources need to be referenced, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Danny Mc?
Operations Supervisor
Wright Medical Technology