  • Subject: RE: Twinax Card and Win95
  • From: "Gary Kuznitz" <docfxit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 21:00:03 -0800
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is <i123472@mail.calwest.net>

> On Friday, May 02, 1997 10:59 AM, Gary Kuznitz [SMTP:docfxit@calwest.net]
> wrote:
> >
> > Is it the Aptiva that is the problem or the IBM emulation card?  If you
> > installed the same card in compatible would '95 recognize it?  If you
> > installed a card that is recognized by '95 in a compatible into your
> > Aptiva does that work?
> >
> Gary,
>
> The Aptiva options (I believe) are the problem, hence it is the Aptiva
> configuration, hence it is the Aptiva. The IBM 5250 Emulation PCI card is
> recognized by Windows 95, and works. The issue, I believe, is that Aptiva
> likes to use up ALL resources on the PC. There are no available IRQs. You
> have to disable things to get one available, then hope the emulation card
> will work with it.
>
> Bob Cozzi
> Bob@rpgdev.net
> www.rpgdev.net

Bob,

Your friend is correct.  The problem that you are probably experiencing is
that the Aptiva comes with a lot of extras that aren't usually used in
business.  The Aptiva uses:
                                I/O     IRQ     DMA
        Sound Blaster   220     5       1
        General MIDI    320
        Mwave           CE30    10      6

If you remove the Mwave modem you will also disable all of the above.  If
you want to remove the modem IBM has the instructions to disable the
software.  If you know what your 5250 card uses that conflicts, you may be
able to reassign the above or reassign the 5250 card.  It's best to find
out what the 5250 card needs first.  I/O addresses are easy to resolve
in the Config.sys file on the EMM386 line.  If it's an IRQ you need for
the card and you don't have PCI capability or you are not using any PCI
cards I think you can use IRQ 15 by disabling PCI support in the BIOS (If
you have PCI support in your particular Aptiva)  The Aptiva itself is no
different than any other CPU.  It just has more in it.

Gary Kuznitz