  • Subject: RE: Twinax Card and Win95
  • From: Paul Tykodi <pault@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 14:30:56 -0400

Dear Bob,

I think that maybe your concern is being directed to the wrong piece of
hardware. From your description, the IBM Aptiva PC sounds like a very good
machine. The IBM AS/400 is also known to be a good machine.

The IBM two session 5250 twinax emulation card was developed back when the IBM
PC/XT was the most modern PC available. Maybe you should look at keeping the
Aptiva and swapping the IBM 5250 emulation card for a BOS or a Synapse card
that can run without the need of an IRQ.

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director  E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                    Tel: 603-431-0606

To be fair, they do, now, call it a "Home/Small Office" computer.  <snip snip>

I guess I figured, that since it was the leading edge IBM PC, (200MHz, 3.1Gb
DASD, 32Mb RAM) that it didn't qualify as a home PC. I figured people at home
spent around $1100 to $2000 for their home systems.

Actually, what I think really happened, is that IBM added this new Mwave
component to its PCs. Mwave and its related supporting components use up all
remaining IRQs in the PC. Hence, even though they have 5 to 7 open slots in
this "home" computer, you really can't add anything that might use an IRQ.