The cost of what IBM has chosen to do is extremely high and cannot possibly serve all the needs that exist(past and present). Do you want a 1000 or more requests? Can you handle them in a timely fashion? Is this a one time shot or will you constantly take requests from the public?
Bottom line is that it would have been far cheaper to just produce and maintain adequate documentation to internals and support developers to make a winning partnership. You choose incorrectly, now the question is will you choose correctly now?

So allow me to create,delete hidden indexes and spaces, bet you won't though.
I want to do a java sockets server on the /400. I check the version on the v4r5 box I own(third in a line, not including 36's) and it's 1.1.8 - ouch! Now how do I get the latest to run on this box that I bought used? I want to do XML on this box; I will have no learning curve. I understand I need a LPP($'s) to do this, now is there an Apache version to run on my v4r5 box? Okay I can by another used box, will I get to do XML for free?

That's the whole point, IBM should work on those things that really matter, not trivial API's that the public can handle. Anyway, this is pointless. Some ego-maniac in the AS/400 division is controlling this because it really doesn't wash with the rest of IBM's offerings. Explain to me why I am a valued engineer in other IBM offerings and not here(Software engineers interested in developing boot firmware, operating system, or application code..see below..)

Santa, this is what I really want on the iSeries for Christmas:

Download the 64bit PowerPC 970FX Software Evaluation Kit Now
Dear Engineer,
The versatility of Power Architecture technology is now available to you, allowing you to keep up with the latest 64 bit computing developments.

You can now download the new 64 bit PowerPC 970FX Evaluation Kit at:
http://www.ibm.com/isource/cgi-bin/goto?on=Powerpcdownload

The IBM PowerPC 970FX Evaluation Kit is intended for:

* Software engineers interested in developing boot firmware, operating system, or application code for a PowerPC® 970FX-based board. The source code illustrates how to initialize and utilize various features of the processor (caches, timers, memory management unit, interrupts, and debugging features). An application note is included that outlines the steps required to obtain and build a GNU cross compiler for PowerPC code development.

Thanks for listening but somehow I really doubt it.

Cheers!