Dan:

"Dan Bale" <dbale@samsa.com> wrote:

>Today, I ran this on another program and I am surprised to see that
>variables seem to be overlapping each other according to their offsets and
>sizes.  Just to give a glimpse:
>
> RPG/400 FORMATTED DUMP
> NAME     OFFSET  ATTRIBUTES    VALUE
> P0RTN    000646  CHAR(7)       '       '
> P0RTN.P  000000  POINTER(SPP)
>                  SPACE OFFSET  1606       '00000646'X
><snip to:>
> ZWORK    000646  PACKED(5,0)   0
>
><snip to:>
> ##WSC    000649  PACKED(3,0)   0
>
>Unless I am misunderstanding the offsets, it would appear that ZWORK & ##WSC
>are directly overlaying P0RTN.

I don't see anything here that indicates that there's any overlap. ZWORK and
##WSC are variables in the called program, aren't they? The space that they're
in would be a different space than the one that has PORTN defined over it. The
space pointer that gets you to PORTN should be pointing back to a space
associated with the calling program. The offset would be into the calling
program's space.

ZWORK and ##WSC could indeed have the same offset value, but as long as they're
in a different space, they're in different memory, not overlapped.

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm not the MI expert by any stretch.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.

Pre-order the NEW Netscape 7.0 browser. Reserve your FREE CD and pay only $2.99
shipping and handling. http://cd.netscape.com/promo_one/

http://webmail.netscape.com/