Steve,

>A big computerdom announcement, MS will publish all but one section of its
>windows os source code.

I don't think so -- I think they are publishing more *interfaces* and previously
undisclosed prototypes -- not the actual source to those functions.

Third parties have long maintained that MS was withholding information which
allowed things like Office to do things independent developers could not.

In one paragraph of the article it is referred to as:

  "Microsoft plans to disclose 385 pieces of computer code and internal
operating rules, previously kept secret, that outside developers can use to
write programs to run on Windows. "

That doesn't sound like the actual source code Windows to me.

In another spot the article says:

  "Microsoft said that, in addition to 272 pieces of code, it also would reveal
113 proprietary software "protocols" that computer server makers can license to
make their machines work better with Windows desktops."

Interesting that during the trial MS insisted they already provide enough
technical disclosure to developers, yet these 113 protocols can be licensed to
make their machines "work better..."  Hmm.  Wasn't the argument all along that
MS programs could work better because MS was withholding information?

MS: "These are just additional disclosures..."

Still doesn't sound like they are revealing much, if any, of the actual source
to Windows.

Doug