To: mi400@midrange.com
From: jamesl@hb.quik.com
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 18:27:21 EDT
Subject: Re: [MI400] MI as the MI language of the as400.

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 17:01:31 -0500 "Leif Svalgaard" wrote:
> no, it is worse. A
case statement continues after
> the statement (unless to "goto" somewhere
inside
> it), but the GO TO DEPENDING don't come back.
. . .

As I said,
it's a PRIMITIVE form. If the "coming back" (or more precisely,
"coming back
together") is coded manually, it effectively provides a CASE
construct where
the language itself doesn't support it. Just as it's possible
to do a
recursive GOSUB in GWBASIC, even though the language doesn't have
parameter
passing or local variables, simply by implementing your own stack.

Consider
the switch/case in C and Java. Now there's a mess, because if you
forget the
break, it just keeps executing every case after the one it was
directed to.
Occasionally useful, but usually just one more way in which C
gives you
enough rope to hang yourself.

What a better world this would be, if only
the implementors of Java had been
PL/I programmers instead of C programmers!
8-/

--
JHHL