  • Subject: RE: The search for the lost disk space
  • From: "Richard Jackson" <richardjackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 18:06:21 -0600

Run Wrksyssts.  Look at the two fields at the bottom of the right side of
the header part of the screen.  The field named "current unprotected used"
is the current amount of temporary space used.  I believe that none of this
space is allocated in any library and does not show up in RTVDSKINF.
According to your numbers, you have a 70 GB system showing 90 percent used -
63 GB used.  The space in RTVDSKINF shows 20 GB.  If the number in "current
unprotected used" is about 40,000 megabytes, there is your answer - the
missing space is actually temporary space allocated but not yet freed.  If
the number in "current unprotected used" is something much smaller than
40,000 megabytes while the field % used shows 90 percent, then you need a
PTF.

If your system is mirrored, then you may have 70 gb of disk installed but
only 35 GB available.  Have you considered that?

If your system is RAID protected, you may have less than 70 GB of space
available.  For example, if your 70 GB is composed of 4 each 18 GB drives
that are arranged into one RAID set, then you lose one drive for RAID
protection.  This would leave you with 54 GB available space.  Have you
considered that?

It is possible to install disk into the cabinets and not make it available
for use.  Have you considered that?

The facts above apply to V4R2 and later.  The words from the screens were
taken from a V4R4 manual.  It may be necessary to run the system service
tools and look at the current disk configuration to understand all the
details of your disk configuration.

Richard Jackson
(speaking only for myself)