kevin, just an observer but good work, using the system as designed rather than designing a new system....basic KISS
MAPICS..

Dennis Guy Vaillant
cell 401-447-4690
skype....dennis.guy.vaillant

In a message dated 09/17/09 19:01:05 Eastern Daylight Time, kdfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Gene,

I'm suggesting that instead of attempting to modify the BOM database to
accommodate the warehouse (which would be a very nice feature for INFOR to
add to the product!)

I'm suggesting that the BOM be changed to create the related BOM's. Let me
illustrated.

Let's suppose I have a BOM and associated routing that looks like the
following:

ENDITEM
-PART123
-PART456
-PART789

OPERATION 0010 MEXICO USES PART123 AND PART456
OPERATION 0020 BOISE USES PART789

If I represent the "Item Process" as follows:

ENDITEM
-0010 ASSEMBLY (MEXICO)
--PART123
--PART456
-0020 FINAL ASSEMBLY (BOISE)
--PART789

Then I would change it to the following:

ENDITEM
-PART789

OPERATION 0010 BOISE USES PART789

WIPITEM
-PART123
-PART456

OPERATION 0010 MEXICO USES PART123 AND PART456

I can then represent the indented "Item Process" as follows:

ENDITEM
-0010 ASSEMBLY (BOISE)
--PART789
--WIPITEM
---0010 ASSEMBLY (MEXICO)
----PART123
----PART456

You could then define in the warehouse a relationship type like follows:

Demand Warehouse: 1 (Boise) Relationship: 1(*DEF) Item: ENDITEM
Demand Warehouse: 1 (Boise) Relationship: 3(*ITEM-OUT) Item: WIPITEM
Demand Warehouse: 2 (Mexico) Relationship: 2(*ITEM-IN) Item: WIPITEM

When MRP runs for each warehouse, you will generate plan to build ENDITEM in
Boise and make it dependent upon supply of WIPITEM from Mexico. Here are
the steps.

1. You will generate an MO for WIPITEM in Mexico (Can use Auto-Release)
2. Receive WIPITEM to the warehouse in Mexico from the MO
3. TW Transfer from Warehouse 2 (Mexico) to Warehouse 1(Boise) (Note: you
need to have a reconciling location for "in transit", if you have R7.8 this
is automatic)
4. Receive WIPITEM into warehouse 1 Boise)
5. Issue WIPITEM to another MO that makes ENDITEM
6. Receive ENDITEM into stock in warehouse 1 and ship

In practice, this is very easy to do as all the MRP logic works normal, and
the transactions that each warehouse executes are also normal transactions
that are easily understood and implemented.

Where my clients get this messed up is when they think "hey let's automate
it and reduce the number of transactions". This of course is usually done
BEFORE they have control of the system. My experience has been that if the
transactions are done "as required" and then good six-sigma practices are
used to define improvements, that automating the transactions very rarely,
if ever, rise to the point that it justifies automating them. (Excluding bar
coding of course.)

Just note again, R7.8 has the "automatic" features built in.

Good Luck!

Kevin