Gene,

You are describing a classic need for a MAPICS application called ISL
(Intersite Logistics).

It allows you to handle the inventory in multiple warehouses and define
which items are normally supplied from the other warehouse. So you make
something in warehouse 1, you need an item normally supplied by warehouse
2. MRP automatically creates demand, as needed (considering safety stock,
mins/max/mults/available inventory), on warehouse 2 when to be delivered
to Whs 1 when it's needed. And vice versa (if the opposite happens). ISL
also handles the transactions to move the inventory around between the
warehouses. A couple key things to know - the inventory should be stored
in both warehouses valued in USD (or whatever the environment currency
is). Otherwise, you'd have to modify the IM transaction programs (I
think).
You'll also need to modify the shipping paperwork it produces, because
I've never seen it be acceptable for any real use.

I'm doing another ISL implementation right now between UK and US, so it's
all fresh.

Please write me back offline if you like for any additional help you might
need.

Thanks.

Michael G. Ellis
Information Systems International, Inc.
A Global ERP Consulting Firm
815-398-1670 x7882

Choose ISI consultants to ensure consistently top quality implementation
services at all levels of your organization.

"A rising tide only lifts the boats that are n the water." - Newt Gingrich

message: 5
date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:53:41 -0600
from: "Gene lampe" <Glampe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: [MAPICS-L] (no subject)

I have a question for the group about multiple warehouses.

We are a job shop with two locations. One is in Boise, Idaho and the
other is in Mexico. We carry inventory in both of these locations and
are in the process of separating this inventory into its own warehouse.
Right now the inventory is combined. Warehouse #1 is in Idaho and
Warehouse #2 is in Mexico. We have some part numbers that need to be
built in Mexico and then sent to our Boise location to be finished and
vice versa. I would like to use the warehouse number as an indicator to
where the inventory is supposed to go, but I have some problems.

1) Is there any way on a BOM to put a warehouse number on where the
material is going to be used from? For example, we have one process
that starts in Boise and then is sent to Mexico to be finished. The
only materials used are at the Boise facility and the WIP then gets sent
down to Mexico to be completed. The problem is when we create a
Manufacturing order for warehouse #2, the BOM says all the material is
going to be used from warehouse #2, when in reality it is going to be
used from warehouse #1. I know you can change this BOM at the M0 level,
but I was hoping that someone had a fix for this at the routing level.

2) We are entering are orders in COM to ship from the preferred
warehouse based on a set of rules. As per my previous question, when we
have WIP being sent from Mexico to Idaho, the customer order has been
entered to ship from warehouse #1, but will be processed in Warehouse #2
and then sent to warehouse #1 to be completed. I enter the
manufacturing order to warehouse #1 and change the components on the BOM
to warehouse #2 which works fine except that MRP seems to only recognize
the warehouse number on the header and not the BOM level. Is this
correct? Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

We currently are running PDM in an XA environment, release 7.7.

Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gene