From: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Patrick Shrader
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 1:14 PM
To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion
Subject: [MAPICS-L] Infor Conference Thoughts?

Hey, Gang.

Back in the saddle now after the Infor conference in Vegas. I'd be
interested in your experiences and comments.

1. I stayed at Luxor...that's a long way to Mandalay Bay's conference
area on foot. At least my doc will be happy I got some exercise....
2. I was disappointed that I couldn't find us old "MAPICS" users. The
blue tags were everywhere, but when I started talking to someone about
my work, I found they were using some other variant...I notice that they
promised to help divide the groups in the future, and I hope they go
further than just the "discrete" type areas.
3. I liked that the Expo was open longer. I hadn't been there in a
couple years, and it was nice to hear about a program in a session and
then talk with the vendor at the Expo. And who didn't bring home a
couple light-up glasses?
4. I learned a lot about V7. (We are still on 5.0). When 7 was
introduced there was too much emphasis on the "cool Java" features, and
less about helping me solve my problems. This conference showed me that
the right step from 5 is to 7, not stopping at 6 anymore.
5. I got a lot out of the sessions, but only when they were led by
users. The Q&A after the user led sessions were helpful. The sessions
led by Infor or Partners were good and informative; however, they were
like I expected -- focused on more sales.
6. We need more user-led sessions. These were by far the most helpful.
7. I really like V7's Power Architecture/Browser client. The
customizations they are offering now really look nice. It was nice to
get my hands on this.
8. The Huey Lewis concert was a lot of fun!

Next year, I hope we head to Nashville, and I hope they allow more of
the user lead sessions and we can all learn from our peer's own trials.
They also need more XA related sessions in general; with the larger
group I felt that the selections for XA were reduced - and many sessions
were standing room only. I enjoyed meeting several of you at the event
as well. Next year we need to plan a dinner/reception as a user's group.

All in all, I hope to head back next year. And perhaps lead a session on
migrating to V7!

Patrick