Chuck (and Dale),

Dale (the other one - he whose name CAN be pronounced and spelled) pointed
out what is perhaps the biggest weakness in I/M backflushing (at least, to
me) - the dreaded ST01/WIP location being the only backflush location.  We
have also utilized MDCC's backflush by operation, which auto-backflushes
from a pre-defined location (the default stocking location), but that isn't
always good either.  What about when you have multiple assembly lines with
common parts?  (Which we do.)

We are in the process of implementing a newly developed (internally)
enhancement that will auto-charge at order release time from specially
coded locations in the departments that are producing the parts.  We would
actually prefer the parts to be charged up front for some items rather than
backflushing at "RM" time.  I think that would be an interesting option for
MAPICS to consider.  I know that you can use Uncontrolled Floor Stock to
accomplish this, but we don't want to do that for a number of reason.

Dale Gindlesperger
IT Manager/Special Projects Leader
Fleetwood Folding Trailers, Inc.
258 Beacon Street
Somerset, PA  15501

                      "Walker, Dale"

                      <DWalker@automaticpr        To:       "MAPICS ERP System
Discussion" <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      oducts.com>                 cc:

                      Sent by:                    Subject:  RE: Controlled vs
Uncontrolled Warehouse
                      mapics-l-bounces@mid

                      range.com

                      04/15/2004 05:42 PM

                      Please respond to

                      MAPICS ERP System

                      Discussion

Chuck,
Dale offers some good advice, however another factor to consider is how
your material consumption process operates. Remember, if you have
inventory in multiple stocking locations (concurrently) and you use
controlled floor stock to backflush component consumption...which
location do you want the inventory to be relieved from? Mapics only
gives you one choice.

This may or may not be a concern in your case but it bit me here. I have
a modification/enhancement in place that provides us the flexibility to
have inventory in multiple locations and to conditionally backflush from
different locations. Contact me offline if you want to discuss this
further.

Good luck.
Dale Walker
Gross-Given Mfg / Automatic Products Intnl.