Presence is a MAPICS-certified partner who provides business activity
monitoring software. It scans MAPICS and non-MAPICS databases for user-defined
exception conditions and issues e-mail, Fax, Internet, and cell phone / pager
alerts. They asked me to come up with a list of alerts that would make life
better for MAPICS users. So far, I have come up with about 50 alerts and I am
running out of ideas. I need your HELP in identifying more alerts.

If you respond with an alert idea, I will send you free copies of my latest
books-"The Presence Book" and "Using Presence With MAPICS". Since nothing is
really free, your response has to answer five questions to receive the books:

  a.. What do you want to do? (e.g. I want to check for.)
  b.. When do you want to do it? (e.g. Check every hour)
  c.. What data is available? (e.g. The names of MAPICS and non-MAPICS
files-don't get bogged down in details).
  d.. What do I want to do about it? (e.g. Place a customer order on credit
hold)
  e.. Who do you want to tell? (e.g. people in your business (such as
salesreps, buyers, and planners), customers, vendors)
I know that many of you have a "creative streak" and can think of ingenious
ways to use these Presence capabilities:

  a.. MAPICS has many inquiries and reports that you can use to identify
problems. Presence is able to improve on these inquiries and reports by running
alerts automatically and just reporting the exceptions.
  b.. You are able to access MAPICS and non-MAPICS databases. This means that
you can supplement MAPICS data with data from spreadsheets, e-mail address
books, non-MAPICS systems, or data from multiple MAPICS environments.
  c.. Users can respond to alerts in a way that triggers other activities. For
example, a credit manager can receive an e-mail alert that a customer order is
on credit hold. The credit manager can respond by having MAPICS remove the
credit hold or having Presence send an e-mail to the customer explaining the
problem.
  d.. Presence is able to build its own databases and use this information to
track trends rather than individual instances. For example, you could track
vendor performance by month rather than year and issue alerts when there are
significant favorable or unfavorable trends.
  e.. Presence lets you send information to your web site. For example, you
could have Presence load the latest customer order status information on your
web site. It can then scan your web site and e-mail customers when orders are
going to be late. The customer's e-mail can contain a link to your web site
that contains details about the late order.
If you respond to this posting on the forum, I will contact you for mailing
address info. Otherwise, you can e-mail me at bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S. Multiple ideas for alerts from one person are most welcome. But, I can
only send one set of books to each responder

Bob Tenney
Bob Tenney Solutions, LLC
MAPICS - FRx - Presence - Crystal Reports
828-526-8976

Visit www.tenneypubs.com for books about
IFM, COM, G/L Interfaces
Info WorkPlace, Cost Accounting,