   The problem with a separate warehouse is that M-orders are warehouse
   specific so there won't be any components available to issue without first
   transfering them to the other warehouse (and creating duplicate item
   balance records, etc.) - very messy. Availability is the biggest concern
   and as long as the MO is released soon after receipt of the returned item,
   that's taken care of.

   Yes, the "usage" numbers will be affected but these numbers are suspect
   anyway because ANY transaction will affect them including misc and
   adjustments so I think this is a small price to pay.

   As far as costing, the MO will accrue costs that will be removed from the
   WIP database when the order is purged. I can't see where this would be a
   problem. I'm assuming that you put enough identity in the order header to
   be able to break it out easily (special alpha/numeric order number, etc.
   as suggested by Dale) from the regular production orders. The actual cost
   will be higher than standard because the component (the item itself) is
   the full item cost, plus you'll add whatever rework costs are applied -
   but isn't that the whole point?

   Good discussion thread, by the way. This is a great forum for exchanging
   info and experiences.

   Dave Turbide
   dave@daveturbide.com

   Message: 5