hey my fine mapics warriors....

I 'm involved with  a situation and am wondering if any of you may have
addressed.  The general area of concern is variance reporting of matl cost /
usage.

Background:

1.  We use paperless, and mapics rel 6 and are set up to backflush at the
operation where used,
( based on qty per. * operation qty)  This works quite well.

2.  For fab parts made from coil, we run thru 3 operations, the first of
which is decoil, and backflushes the coil.

3. We open an MO for a fab item using the STD Coil.
  part way thru the run we will run out of the 'std' coil, report the fab
pieces made thus far, and BF the coil, so far so good. Then we add the new
coil part to the MO, assign the operation where used, etc. And unassign the
original coil (dont want to BF anymore)
We report the final completed parts thru the operation and it does BF the
proper 'new' coil' WE get the right issues for both coils.

4.  Then we RM the emtire qty after last operation.

5.  However !!  when we closeout and purge the MO, we get a huge positive
matl variance.  The system is calculating the std usage based on RM qty *
qty per of each coil.  This is offset by a similar 'order' varaince at the
end of the order var. report.

 We would expect to see a variance for just the cost difference of the 2
coils, the std qty per is identical.

 I cannot simply chg the qty per, of the coils to get me the right answer,
the qty per has to be accurate  due to the paperless backflush we want to
occur for the new coil. And i can't chg it after, because I wont know how
many we ran out of each coil, unless we modify and keep a production
'cutoff' qty and production 'cuton' qty.

But, before we pursue this avenue, I wanted to check and see someone has
seen this before and may offer a suggestion, or solution we may have
overlooked.

  The mapics hotline is also helping with in this endeavor, many thanks.

Sorry for the length of this ??  but hey if anybody does substitution during
a run, this is going to become an issue for variance reporting.

Thanks again,

Jeff Snyder,   CPIM

Ind. mapics consultant

724-699-2506