From: mapics-l-admin@midrange.com [mailto:mapics-l-admin@midrange.com]
On Behalf Of Leleux@shur-lok.com
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 12:42 PM
To: mapics-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Recording Machine Down Time

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
Does not distort payroll.
In terms of division of man-hours, it all depends on how you look at it.
We have a woman working three screw tappers, her time is split between
the two machines as she is capable (and expected) to do so.  Each job
is getting 1/3 her time.  So machine 1 becomes unavailable for tooling
reasons, she clocks off that job, onto the 'waiting for tool repair'
job.
The two running jobs still get 1/3 her time, and the waiting job gets
1/3.  Our philosophy is that since she divides her time anyway, the
remaining jobs shouldn't go to 1/2 because they don't need that
level of attention - nor will they get it as that would falsely increase
the cost of that job.  She may spend her time cleaning her area
(we have a job for that!) or prepping for another job (not necessarily
setup).
We can analyze the 'variance' jobs and get some feedback on
shop problems, such as tool repair, raw material shortages, etc.
And hopefully get to the bottom of things, all in the name of
improvement,
not punishment.
Can't answer the overhead issue at the moment, but I think it would and
should if the employee is under-utilized.  Kinda like a very expensive
CNC being used for penny parts, you still gotta pay for the machine even
if the jobs don't.
Forgive me if my explanations are oversimplified or shortsighted, I'm a
techie!
Philip Freimann <PFreimann@cranecams.com>
Sent by: mapics-l-admin@midrange.com

06/06/2002 08:23 AM