This just come out from IBM.  Have not read the whole thing.
It may have some solutions that would not cost much.

Redbooks

IBM eServer iSeries Printing VI: Delivering the Output of e-business
Published: May 23, 2002 ISBN: 0738423971 384 pages
Explore the book online at

Mike Bennett - Information Services Manager
Kimray Inc.
52 NW 42nd Street OKC,OK  USA 73118
405-525-6601 - 405-525-6165 fax
www.kimray.com
bible.crosswalk.com
www.lifechurch.tv

                    "Tom Wood"
                    <tomwood@bright.n        To:     <mapics-l@midrange.com>
                    et>                      cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     Payroll Remittance
Advices to Laser Printer
                    mapics-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    05/29/2002 09:36
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    mapics-l

Hi All,

We use MAPICS payroll (at R4, going to R6 next month) for processing
electronic deposits for employee pay and would like to know of a more
aesthetic option for printing remittance advices.   Currently, we use the
standard format provided by MAPICS, which I assume was designed for
printing to dot matrix/line printers on pinfeed forms?  We print this to a
laser which makes it look kind of funky (condensed) and takes up a whole
sheet.  Admittedly, I'm a bit weak when it comes to AFP/IPDS/etc., as well
as being a bit ignorant of what 3rd party software is available to enhance
printing in MAPICS.

Any suggestions you may have for improvement are appreciated.

Regards,

Tom