Hello all.

I am working to understand more about the reporting issues facing MAPICS
shops today, from technical, operations, and management perspectives.  As a
sales rep for Vanguard Solutions Group, I have ideas as to how the different
solutions address the multi-faceted aspects  of the reporting function.  The
creativity and resourcefulness of the technical community within MAPICS
shops has been well documented for many years.   You are all working with
tighter budgets, fewer resources, and more demands.  This is not a thinly
veiled attempt to sell product.  Those of you who may know me know that I do
not work that way.  I have been with Vanguard for just over a year, and am
looking for some input from the technical side, to understand better how to
communicate with those of you who keep the "MAPICS Machine" running.

The reporting function is one with high visibility within the organization.
There is no single answer.  You likely have a combination of technology and
software delivering answers to users.  It is time consuming and repetitive.
I am interested in trying to determine the amount of time you and your staff
devote to reporting functions related to  MAPICS.  There are many solutions
available to address the inherent limited reporting capabilities within
MAPICS.  Several methods have been discussed.  There is overlap of reporting
in the MAPICS product offerings.

Answer any that move you -  pick only a couple, if you want - any feedback
is appreciated!

-       Describe tools in use today, strengths and limitations?
- Toughest reporting issue facing you?
- How has it changed over the last six months?
- What changes do you see moving forward?
- What demands are being placed on you to deliver information?  Speed?
Flexibility? Management views?
- Has your budget been cut?   How much?       Staff reductions?
- New information sources?  How do you integrate non-MAPICS data?
- Sharing with new users inside or outside the organization?
- Security?
- Management expectations?
- Time devoted to reporting?  Hours or percent of time per week.
o Maintenance time?
o New design time?
o Analysis and integration of new data types?
o Distribution?

- Other major issues?
- Overlapping products from MAPICS?
- Any shelf-ware?
- User satisfaction?

Any input you would be willing to share I will offer to combine and share
with the board.

What's in it for you?  A beverage at the user conference????!!!

Thanks !!

Regards,
Pat

Patrick Beil