In answer to a few of the questions on SQL and MAPICS
some tips:

1) Authority through Access (Jet engine) does play a role!

2) CL cannont run SQL but RUNSQLSTM can in CL, just remember
        to set commitment control off.

3) Beware of unkeyed files. Access will prompt you to identify
        a "unique" key. With larger data sets this becomes rather
        erratic since Jet must synthesize the keys.

4) Prototype your update statements with a equivalent SELECT
        to avoid unintended selections or updates.

5) Remember that the AS/400 does not support an update join but
        Access does. Be careful again because the Jet database must
        simulate the join.

6) Strange results thru ODBC can usually be traced to the tranlation
        panel on the ODBC connection. MAPICS files are 65535 which is no
        code page at all. ODBC demands one, so translation should be turned
        on (otherwise your character strings appear as hex).

7) Stay up to date on Client Access and ODBC. Get used to managing the
        SQLPKG objects if you use ODBC extensively.

8) On the STRSQL command:
Data refresh . . . . . . . . . . REFRESH        *ALWAYS
        is one of the defaults. This peforms better if you scroll backward
        alot by setting it to *FORWARD. Otherwise going backwards in the
        file will re-access the records instead of just displaying them.

SQL is very useful with MAPICS!

Konrad Underkofler
Hoshizaki America, Inc.