----- Original Message -----
From: "aldg" <aldg@mail.rvi.net>

(Note: I sent this out Thursday, Oct. 25, 2001 and for some reason, it
didnt' get on the Mapics ML.  Here goes another try...)

Hi Mapics ML:

What are the ramifications (for example, loss of historical data, etc.) of
changing an Item Number's Item Type from Type 4 (purchased) to Type 2
(fabricated); or for that matter, other similar changes?

It's very easy to use the Item Master File Maintenance to record the above
type of change but I wonder if doing something that simple may really not be
the best method.

Perhaps a modified Item Number should be created for the new Type 2 Item
Number.  For example, previous Item Number 41005338, with a Type 4 Item Type
might now become Item Number 41005338F as a Type 2 Item Type.  The appending
of the letter "F" would mean "fabricated" and it would imply that the same
Item Number exists in the system without the appended letter and it has a
different Item Type.

How do you change Item Types in your shop for a given Item Number?  It
probably doesn't happen very often but you may have experiences with this
type of situation that you want to share with the Mapics ML.

I look forward to your comments on this subject.

--
Above message before copy enclosure (if any) was sent by:

Al Gershen
Grants Pass, OR 97526
aldg@mail.rvi.net
& ICQ # 12342782