From: Heller, Ed [mailto:eheller@defianceprecision.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 3:19 PM
To: mapics-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: OLAP Reporting Packages with MAPICS

Well . . . my biggest problem with Crystal Reports is (physical) distance.
Using Crystal alone means that the select/filter is not performed until the
data is brought onto the user's PC. Thus, if that user only needed to look
at 500 inventory transaction records, she would still need to download all
500,000 records to get the ones she wanted. Running through a 384K line from
the AS/400 100 miles away, she could essentially go to lunch waiting just to
get the data local. Plus, since that same line handles e-mail, Internet,
data collection, etc., my phone would be ringing off the hook from people
wondering where our bandwidth went to.

Agreed, Crystal is a nice tool, and perhaps I should take a look at
Crystal's back-end solution (sit an NT box for it next to the 400). We'll
have to see.

Thanks!

Ed