From: Heller, Ed [mailto:eheller@defianceprecision.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 8:47 AM
To: mapics-l@midrange.com
Subject: OLAP Reporting Packages with MAPICS

Greetings, All!

I have one of those "general" discussion topics that we all love to hate.

As part of our MAPICS implementation, I've been asked to recommend a
reporting tool to run against the MAPICS databases. By next Monday (yikes!).
I'm assuming that this will most likely wind up being an OLAP tool, due to
their relative speed and capabilities. Our short list is currently Vanguard
Solutions' GPS (pre-mapped to MAPICS, but most likely the highest price of
the batch), Hyperion's Essbase (currently running elsewhere in the
corporation, so the per-seat licensing would be less expensive), and
Microsoft's SQL Server Analysis Services (apparently most bang for the buck,
despite it being from Microsoft). However, I wouldn't have a problem
revisiting some of the other solutions out there, such as Cognos and/or
Oracle Express. Or even shrug and just leave things with plain old
green-screen 400 queries. The two primary areas that will be utilizing the
package are Manufacturing and Finance, with the former probably stressing
the capabilities much more than the latter.

Some of our parameters -- in no particular order -- are as follows . . .

- The chosen package must run (primarily) on a server, rather than the
clients. It will serve five locations, and pumping massive amounts of data
through pipes as small as 384K simply wouldn't be practical.

- Must be able to handle relatively large numbers of records (>500,000 in
the case of shop floor transactions) on demand.

- Should interface efficiently to the AS/400 databases.

- Needs to be cost efficient. The IT Department here reports to Finance, so
you know we'll need to prove any ROI.

- Any client software should be relatively "user friendly." While we may be
willing to dedicate a resource to constructing the data cubes, we would like
to make our users as self-sufficient as possible when creating/modifying
reports with a minimum of training. In some cases, this could possibly be
accomplished by an export to Excel. And, to anticipate a possible question,
I'd consider software such as Crystal reports or R&R Report Writer
sufficiently user friendly.

- In all likelihood, we'd support giving the chosen tool its own server to
run on. The only qualification on that might be for AS/400 products; it
might be difficult to justify a dedicated 400.

I'm certain I've left out a requirement or two, but such is life; feel free
to point out my omission. So, if any of you have experience using such tools
such as these, I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!

Ed

Edward B. Heller
IS Manager