Greetings, All!

As part of a merger, we are in the process of moving from JBA (oops, GEAC)
System21 to MAPICS, which is already in use at the sister company into which
we're being merged. While I confess to being a MAPICS novice, one of my
large concerns is the decision to retain the current AS/400 that is in
place. And, am wondering what this group could relate from their experience
and knowledge, or point me towards an appropriate reference source.

Currently, we have a 9406-720; IBM Tier P10; MAPICS Tier 8; CPW Rating
35/240; and, 768MB of Memory. As far as the majors go, we'll be implementing
IFM, Purchasing, Inventory, PDM, PC&C, PM&C, and MRP. In addition will be an
E-Kanban application, a homegrown data collection application, and Future3
being used for EDI, Order Entry, and Invoicing. COM and/or EPDM may be added
sometime in the next couple of years. While I know this list doesn't address
things like number of transactions, I do need to start somewhere.

I suppose an adjunct question in my mind concerns MAPICS' plans for the
future. The little information I've seen seems to imply that many of their
future upgrades/enhancements will be oriented toward GUI, with a
corresponding need for greater resources.

Thanks in advance for any of you thoughts. I've had the privilege of lurking
in this discussion group for the last four weeks or so, and have been quite
impressed by the levels of knowledge, cooperation, and especially the
concern for your employers' best interest that I've been seeing.

Thanks!

Ed

Edward B. Heller
IS Manager