Our IMHIST contains only current year & last year  transactions.  We have a
program that we run after year-end, that takes the older records from
IMHIST  and duplicates them into a new file that we create called IMHISTyy
where yy is the year of the transaction, ie at the end of 2001 we will
create a file called IMHIST00 that will only contain transactions that were
generated in year 2000.  Then we delete out those records and do a reorg on
IMHIST.

This helps in controlling the size of IMHIST & allows our users to still
write queries over prior years data if they need to.

Also with many people asking questions about moving to a newer release of
MAPICS, we found that having as few as possible records in IMHIST is a HUGE
help in cutting down the conversion time.

Steve Jones

                    "Burns, Bryan"

                    <burnsbm@Echoincorpo        To:     mapics-l@midrange.com

                    rated.com>                  cc:

                    Sent by:                    Fax to:

                    mapics-l-admin@midra        Subject:     Questions on on
purging IMHIST
                    nge.com

                    08/10/01 11:55 AM

                    Please respond to

                    mapics-l

Hello All,

We are running XA5.5 and I need some help with IMHIST.  It has more than 8
million records and is due for a purge.  I have the following questions:

1)         The MAPICS documentation says to run a transaction history
report
before a purge, but with 8 million records, how long would that take and
how
much DASD would it use?  How necessary is this report?

2)         I have been told the purge will have to be done on a three day
weekend as it will take 50 hours or more.  Any tips on speeding the purge
up?

3)         If the purge is not finished when the work shift begins, I
assume
that IM transactions will be locked out.  What other parts of MAPICS would
be locked?  This is not a dedicated mode task from what I can see.

4)         The IMHIST file has a member IMHNEW with 1.3 million records.
The
MAPICS web site has indicated  that IHNEW is built on the fly for
Transaction History reports.  A DSPFD indicates IMHNEW was last changed on
7/11/01.  We think that it got created but not cleared on that date when we
abended a transaction history report that had no limits.  Can we just do a
clear it with a CLRPFM?

Thanks for any help.

           Bryan Burns
           AS/400 System Operator