hi John,

Sounds like you're probably using the curses front-end, then.

Remember, the Unix environment (that Linux is designed to work like) is intended to work with a network of terminals that all connect to a central CPU. I realize that you probably don't use it that way, but it's the way the environment was designed, and it still works that way.

So within your Linux PC, there's a program pretending to be a Unix tty (terminal) that's interfacing with your screen and keyboard. And another that's pretending to be a 'getty' process (terminal server) that receives the terminal signals and sends them on to programs.

The problem is... when you hit the control key, the terminal doesn't send anything to the server. That's the way Unix ttys have historically worked, and the way the program on your linux box still works today. So there's nothing for tn5250 to interpret as error-reset.

You can solve this problem by using x5250, since x5250 works in the X environment, it can read your keyboard scan codes directly. (It's a different architecture.) therefore it's possible to map the control key to error reset.

Or, you can try to configure the linux terminal program (via loadkeys) to send a different character sequence when the control key is sent. That'll only work if you're using a console (not X) display.

Otherwise, you'll have to hit Ctrl-R. (See the man page for details of the key combinations.)

Good luck