Aaron Bartell wrote:
I have modified the XTerm file and it has changed the right controls key
behavior, but it has changed it to act as the enter key (in addition to
the actual enter key).

I'm sorry Aaron, I failed to read your post carefully. I don't know
what the code is for Field Exit so I don't know how to make the right
control key become the field exit key.

Where did you find the various options for the string() value and their
meanings?
I was having trouble with keymapping back around Ubuntu 7.04 or 7.10 and
I had to spend some time figuring out what the key codes were. I can't
remember if Scott Klement replied here on the list or if it was a post
he made to someone else years ago but he mentioned a program that lets
you see what codes are emitted (not xev but something similar) - and I
can't remember it now. A lot of it boiled down to trial and error too.

Does anybody know how to apply an icon to the application once it is running?
I believe that kind of thing is controlled by the OS. Since xt5250 runs
inside an xterm window I'm not sure it's possible to make Ubuntu know it
should show the tn5250 icon instead of the xterm icon.

I downloaded 0.17.4 and tried to compile it but got a message stating my
C compiler couldn't make executables (whatever that means). So I tried
apt-get install tn5250 and it told me I have the latest version (see
below output).

You would probably have to do something like:

sudo apt-get install build-essentials

However there are other libraries needed to compile tn5250 and I don't
remember right now what they are. I believe there was a libncurses-dev
or libcurses-dev as well as one of the SSL libraries (OpenSSH? I don't
remember).

apt-get was telling you that you have the latest version of tn5250 that
it is aware of. Version 0.17.4 probably won't make it into the
repositories until Ubuntu 9.04 or maybe even Ubuntu 9.10 - it depends on
when they get around to adding it to the repositories.