Hi Scott

Thanks for your quick and clear reply.

My question on the other hand obviously stunk :-)

To restate:
I'd like to get tn5250, running in a linux console (control-alt-F1 thru 6 typically),
to make the numeric keypad + and - keys to always act as field+ and field-
The normal top row +/= and _/- keys are fine as they are.

I'd also like Shift + Tab to work as backtab.

What I call xt5250 (which I guess is just a shell around tn5250) running on the same machine under X does this already.
In the console however they seem to be field+ and field- only on a numeric only field, and they revert to + and - when it's a text entry area.

I'm not familiar with the AS/400 or other term emulation packages, but the trainer that was here indicated that her Windows machine had the numeric pad + and - mapped to always be field+ and field-, and after using their software for a bit I can see where it would certainly save a lot of keystrokes in our case.

I'd prefer to keep using the linux console rather than force everyone to use X.
We are running older computers, with staff that like 80x25 FULL SCREEN
(or is that older staff, with computers that prefer 80x25? Never mind....)

So, can I make tn5250 mimic xt5250?

Brian